Sunday, June 29, 2008

Acquired Corporate Personalities

An interesting thing happened...

A Sr. VP who heads our commercial function came heavily down on me with abuses and threats and an utter distaste to the way I was asking him questions on how I could get my work done better. It was a work to me by my boss, another Sr. VP for marketing...

I was unable to understand the way I was been treated and could not remember a single such incidence in my last 14 years of professional life...

I had a colleague accompanying me who reported to a different boss, and he was treated very differently, actually in a very respectful fashion... where did I go wrong...

I was doing my job....

the guy hardly knew me and the contributions I had done to my earlier companies and job role....

the way my team gave me such a heart felt farewell for just 3 years of my association with them....

Well actually the answer lies in something I call Acquired Corporate Personalities (ACP). Its funny like your family, your race, your religion and your nationality, you also acquire certain traits for the boss your work and that stamps you with the kind of person you are expected to be.

I work for a boss who is not regarded well in his circles, because of some basic flaws in his Core, managerial and leadership skill sets. While my colleague used to work for a person who was well regarded for his work, albeit he worked with him for only a few weeks.

It also brings out the senior managers ability to handle pressures and also lead a team, but above all his ability to respect individuals and not assign stamps

The person just lost an opportunity to gain a sound disciple and i just gained an opportunity to look for new masters.

No comments: